Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/15/2020, 09:00 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

How to get a molly to eat problem algae?

Hi
I read posts of black mollies eating nuisance algae like bryposis. I even seen the molly (once mollies) that I have now eat nuisance algae off rocks, glass, etc in the LFS. So I got those exact ones. None of them (now just one) ever touched the rocks except the first 2 mins they were in my tank. I even resorted to taking out the molly and putting in a bucket for a full 5 days to get it hungry. After I put in tank I didnt feed for a day. It didnt matter, it never even tasted a rock of side of the tank.
Is there anything I can do? I'm trying to not resort to chemicals to keep the bryopsis under consistent control.

TY!

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2020, 10:49 AM   #2
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

I've never heard of mollie's eating bryopsis, just hair algae.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2020, 06:41 PM   #3
ROlympia
Registered Member

I have two that eat the algae off the rocks. Don't have briopsys so IDK.

ROlympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2020, 07:37 AM   #4
vlangel
Registered Member

I have a molly converted to saltwater and I am thinking that bryopsis is too fibrous for it. I think mine prefers more filamentous algae.

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, ...and God sawthat it was good. Genesis 1:20 - 21

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon high nutrient macro algae/coral reef that overflows into a basement 30 gallon seahorse macro algae fuge that overflows into a 20 gallon sump
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2020, 11:17 AM   #5
CTaylor
Registered Member

I rememver reading posts that they do/can eat it. I even scubbed clean the rocks of visible bry (I read some place a a LOOONNNGGGG time ago wen it grows to any length it's totally unpalatable and possibly toxic when cut/eaten). Still it doesnt do anything. But the mollly doesnt even 'taste' any rocks or the acrylic of the tank. Not even a try lol. In the LFS it's all it was doing. Maybe it was because there was non bry everywhere. But I'm sure I have some other algaes that I dont see. Just no intereest. I'll go back to LFS and see if there's bry in their tanks, probably not. TY everyone!

Old 11/19/2020, 02:24 PM   #6
Sk8r
RC Mod

That won't happen, as a solution. A fish eating it (if they do) and pooing the phosphate back into the tank isn't going to solve it. .Get your phosphate (algae fuel) under control via an anti phosphate reactor to have an impact on regular algae; and Reefflux if you have bryopsis.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, chromis, royal gramma basslet, tailspot blenny, ocellaris clown, yellow watchman, chestnut turbo snails, bristleworms, couple of hermits.

Last edited by Sk8r; 11/19/2020 at 02:58 PM.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2020, 04:11 PM   #7
CTaylor
Registered Member

Sk8r, thanks, but I know why it grows. I have imbalance of nutrients, not too much PO4. Lowering it will worsen my situation. Pooing it will also give nutrients to feed my chaeto. This is off subject. Just looking to see if someone (and apparently I must have misread that others were successful) have molies eating it.