Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 03/17/2020, 05:33 PM   #1326
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

You should! I think a lot of people would be interested in what you're doing.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/17/2020, 10:46 PM   #1327
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

The back wall is getting pretty jungle-y. Lots of algae diversity. It's chaos. I want it to get shaggy before I add the next fish. I still prune it but it spreads. I'm going with it! Plus I'm still favoring some of the greens to spread, like the turtle weed, aka maiden's hair. I'm very much enjoying my fake wall. It's a living puzzle that should keep me occupied for years!

My string of pearls plant is recovering well, putting out new pearls. I noticed two frags still growing from where I removed it. Over time, I'm spreading this plant around.

I'm still hoping my disappeared ulva intesinalis pops up again somewhere. My other ulva did that. If not, I may try another one, and try a different location.

I think I'll give the red macros a good pruning this weekend. While I'm at it, I'll relocate some the caulerpa verticillata (petticoat) to the seagrasses and maybe some more on the back wall. Of all the caulerpas, this may be my favorite. It's so delicate and moves pleasingly in the current.

Not much growth with the new codium and tufted joint algae. They don't look to be dying either, so I'll reserve judgement. A little more time might help.

The mangrove trees have put out new leaves, and gotten taller. I'd estimate they're six to seven inches from the water surface. I keep wondering if they're going to make it, and they keep growing.

The manatee grass is gradually growing taller. I think I have a good spread of plants now. I'll have to get some pics this weekend.

Old 03/21/2020, 08:32 PM   #1328
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Old 03/21/2020, 08:35 PM   #1329
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Old 03/21/2020, 09:51 PM   #1330
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Snapped a few pics:

The whole enchilada.

Tufted Joint Algae or Cymopolia barbata.

Artsy.

Seagrasses with other green favorites.

Old 03/22/2020, 07:42 AM   #1331
vlangel
Registered Member

Love the pics Michael. The FTS with the green of the grasses/macros and the reds on the right and the the blue and black & white from the damsels is simply stunning in such a simple beautiful way! Elegant simplicity and yet intricately diverse. I love it!

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, ...and God sawthat it was good. Genesis 1:20 - 21

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon high nutrient macro algae/coral reef that overflows into a basement 30 gallon seahorse macro algae fuge that overflows into a 20 gallon sump
vlangel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/22/2020, 07:48 AM   #1332
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn! It's coming along.

Old 03/23/2020, 05:21 PM   #1333
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I doubt it was noticeable in my pics, but I took the scissors to most of my red grapes plants. They were getting kinda ratty and faded. Scroll back up to the FTS and you can see the two front rocks have a lot less growing on them. I expect they'll grow back. I relocated more of the Caulerpa verticillata to the back wall and grass bed as well.

If things keep going as they are, I could reach my vision for this tank pretty soon! All I'm lacking at this point is better plant coverage on the back wall, taller and denser growth of the Manatee grass and a more robust ground cover coverage, between the grasses. That shouldn't take more than a couple of months…

Old 03/24/2020, 04:54 AM   #1334
vlangel
Registered Member

Michael, that is exciting that you are nearing your finished vision for this tank. One thing I was wondering is did you ever get the wave maker going to give the tank that rhythmic waving of the grasses back and forth? If not is that still part of the final vision?

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, ...and God sawthat it was good. Genesis 1:20 - 21

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon high nutrient macro algae/coral reef that overflows into a basement 30 gallon seahorse macro algae fuge that overflows into a 20 gallon sump
Old 03/24/2020, 07:24 AM   #1335
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn. Yes, the wave box has been running all along, giving me the lovely back and forth water movement. It's the main circulation pump on a closed loop that I've yet to get running. Just about every solution I can think of requires that I drain the tank, so I haven't done it. I also came to the realization that my main pump is too loud for my living room, so I'm looking at other pumps. Once I have a pump and a solid plan, then I can look at draining down the tank and making whatever mods are needed. I'm not sure when I'll be able to make that happen, but I want to.

As for the vision thing, I was mostly just talking about the plant-scape. I'm getting pretty close to what I want, in that regard. Lots of other stuff to do, like get more fish and inverts. For now, I'm just trying to facilitate plant growth that I want, while weeding out what I don't.

Old 03/24/2020, 12:34 PM   #1336
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Thanks Dawn. Yes, the wave box has been running all along, giving me the lovely back and forth water movement. It's the main circulation pump on a closed loop that I've yet to get running. Just about every solution I can think of requires that I drain the tank, so I haven't done it. I also came to the realization that my main pump is too loud for my living room, so I'm looking at other pumps. Once I have a pump and a solid plan, then I can look at draining down the tank and making whatever mods are needed. I'm not sure when I'll be able to make that happen, but I want to.

As for the vision thing, I was mostly just talking about the plant-scape. I'm getting pretty close to what I want, in that regard. Lots of other stuff to do, like get more fish and inverts. For now, I'm just trying to facilitate plant growth that I want, while weeding out what I don't.
Thanks for the clarification. Now I remember that I should have known that you had the wave maker going because I asked about you making a video so we all could enjoy that lovely rhythmic motion. Hhhm, we would still enjoy that video.

That make sense that this phase of establishing the plant life is nearing your vision. Everything in its season right? That is how the bio-life that is so integral to your system is established so I should have known that there were more phases to follow, ha ha!

I am not as young as I used to be so you will have to pardon me for forgetting details about your tank. Ha ha, I don't always remember details about my own tank these days!

Old 03/24/2020, 01:07 PM   #1337
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I know what you mean, forgetting details with age. I find I have reread posts so as to not make erroneous points about stuff that wasn't even said! You are hereby pardoned.

Old 03/28/2020, 09:04 AM   #1338
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Michael,
Take a look @ the Varios line of DC pumps.
They get good reviews & are quiet.

Old 03/28/2020, 09:23 AM   #1339
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Vinny, I'll check them out.

Tags
ecosystem, food web, macro algae, planted tank, seagrass